Vulgar is a constructed language (conlang) generator for fantasy writers and role players. Create unique languages for your race of peoples in the click of a button! Vulgar models the rules, irregularities and quirks of real languages: from grammar, to sounds, to vocabulary.
Enter phonemes separated by spaces. Use IPA symbols only. ?
Enter permissible consonants and consonant clusters here. This feature turns off Custom Phonemes option (above).
|Word initial consonants:|
|Word final consonants:||
|2nd vowel group:|
Add different vowels to second group and each word will use vowels from one or the other group. About vowel harmony.
Word Structure Analyser (available in full version) analyses the frequency and locations of phonemes in any chunk of text and populates the result to the Word Structure fields. Analysing with Equiprobable dropoff rate will give you the exact frequencies.
- Assign phonemes to classes (uppercase letters), which act as placeholders for Word Patterns
- The uppercase letters don't inherently mean anything, and any phoneme can be assigned to any class
- Classes can contain sequences of phonemes (A = ion lar mel) and/or sequences of other classes (S = CV VC)
- If you need more than 26 classes, the following Greek letters can be used: ΓΔΘΛΞΠΣΦΨΩ
- Word patterns are made of classes or actual phonemes, eg: zVC means the word will always start with z, then a random choice of V and C.
- Use brackets for optional patterns: CV(zV) means the zV pattern occurs 20% of the time. Manually change the probability by writing it after the brackets: CV(zV)50%.
- Patterns for particular parts-of-speech can be added after the default patterns, eg: part-of-speech = ... (This makes Part-of-speech Morphology option unnecessary.)
These patterns will be used for randomly generated affixes
|Illegal combinations ?:|
Vowel at start of word: ~ %
Vowel at end of word: ~ %
Stress pattern: ? Change stress pattern in full version
Add spelling diacritics:
|Change alphabet order: ?|
Creates a second spelling system alongside the main spelling. This is useful for making a Romanization spelling if the main spelling uses a custom script, or non-Latin alphabet.
|Language name (in English):|
|Natively pronounced (IPA):|
Only 1 in 10 added words will display in demo version.
Enter extra words to be generated, in the format word(s) : part-of-speech
- comely : adj
- conlang, constructed language : n
Specify what the word translates to as English word : part-of-speech = conlang word (in IPA)
- queen : n = kalisi
(available in pro version)
Add affixes to words to create derived words as new word : pos = root_word-AFFIX.TAG
- government : n = govern-ACT.OF
Create compound words:
- God of War : n = war god
Add or modify affixes (Read the affix guide):
Create affixes for parts-of-speech. The below examples adds o to masculine nouns, a to feminine nouns, and ar to verbs. Sound changes and conditional affixes can be created - see this guide.
Read the Grammar editor guide for more tricks and tips.
Add or remove genders for dictionary words. If you use genders in the Grammar Editor, they need to be reflected here too. Capitalized letter(s) become the abbreviation.